Nolensville is a quaint community, almost a village really, located in Williamson County, Tennessee, with fun shopping  award-winning restaurants, great schools, ball parks and rural fields.  The historic downtown area is being revitalized with utility upgrading projects to enhance its business community.   Because of its close proximity toBrentwood and Nashville and their favorable property values, many families are choosing to move to Nolensville at a steady and controlled pace.   Many of its long-time residents have families who have lived there for nearly 200 years but they also have a significant amount of folks who have lived there five years or less.


According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 9.5 square miles (25 km2), of land.


William Nolen, his wife, Sarah, and their five children were passing through the area in 1797 when their wagon wheel broke. Forced to stop and survey his surroundings, Nolen noted the rich soil and abundance of natural resources, and decided to make Nolensville his home. William Nolen purchased a portion of a land grant to Jason Thompson on which Nolensville was later built. In the early 19th century, a large migration fromRockingham, North Caroliny, brought the Adams, Allen, Barnes, Cyrus, Fields, Glenn, Irion, Johnson, Peay, Scales, Taylor, Vernon, Wisener, Williams, and other families to the area. Built along Mill Creek, the town was incorporated in 1839.

Foraging and skirmishing took place here during the Civil War. Gen. John Wharton’s Confederate cavalry unit was stationed in town briefly and Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s command captured a Union supply train here on December 30, 1862. William A. Clark successfully defended a wagon train a year later in September 1863, earning the Medal of Honor for his actions.

Nolensville was re-incorporated in 1996.

On both sides of Nolensville Road from north of Oldham Drive to the south as far as York/Williams Road are many structures from the 19th century still in use as homes and/or stores. Within this area is a historic area which in the 19th century was the center of Nolensville. Of note is the Waller Funeral Home which has been in existence since 1876, the Nolensville Mill Company from 1890 to 1986 (today housing a store with Amish goods) and the Nolensville Co-Op Creamery from 1921-1957 which made butter known for its excellence throughout the area (now an antique store). The house north of the cemetery today is a veterinary clinic and the Home Place Bed & Breakfast, built in 1820, is still in use.


Since being re-incorporated in 1996, Nolensville has had sustained growth. New home developments have sprung up around the city including Bent Creek, Winterset Woods, Burkitt Place, Silver Stream, Ballenger Farms, Sunset Farms and more. As outlined in the recent article in The Ciy Paper,  Nolensville has had 290 residential building permits since the 2010 census and touts the lowest property tax rates in Williamson county. Other signs of growth are the new multi-million dollar town hall, numerous business plazas and new restaurants. Additionally the Williamson County School Board recently purchased 95 acres on the south side of Nolensville for a new high school scheduled to open in the fall of 2015, and a new middle school and grade school in the fall of 2016.


As of the census of 2010, there were 5,861 people, 1,831 households.

Education and Schools

  • Nolensville Elementary School
  • Sunset Elementary School
  • Sunset Middle School
  • Ravenwood High School
  • Nolensville High School (Fall 2015)


Nolensville has a variety of different youth sports leagues. The ages range from 4-12 with sports for both boys & girls such as football (tackle and flag), basketball, softball, baseball, and soccer. Most sport fields are located along Mill Creek in proximity to town with the exception of soccer. The soccer club practices at Gregory Park in Nolensville (off Johnson Industrial Boulevard) but plays games at Osburn Park Soccer Complex, which is located four miles south of Nolensville off Nolensville Road.